Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Where I've come from and where I'm going...

Since my first critique in Drawing III, I have come to question why I might be drawing the way I draw. There were several comments that were made I found sort of interesting, not that they were good or bad... it is what it is... but as an artist and designer, I am curious to why and how people view my work in the light that they do. So... before I begin to post new work, I better recap on the old. The following are drawings, sketches, sculpture, and designs I have done the last 5 years.... not chronological.



So this is Apple Man. I created him for an assignment back in Bryan Ritchie's Drawing II class in the Fall of '06. We were supposed to gather a group of dolls with our other classmates and draw from that still life, but for some reason I was really attached to this character and wanted to draw him all to myself.



This is probably the best drawing I have ever made. It's charcoal on tonal paper, a combination of materials I really enjoy working with.




Here is the second drawing from the assignment. I really enjoy this one too... not as "polished" as the first drawing, but it still seems finished. The composition makes me laugh. If you are wondering about Apple Man, I still have him... I'll post of a photo of him when I get a chance. He's an old brute these days.

Onto more drawings... coming up are works from Drawing I and II.











This last piece holds an interesting story behind it. This was from Drawing II, and we were assigned to do something out of the ordinary, perhaps something you would never do. The easy way out would have been to go someplace you had never visited... perhaps church if you weren't a believer, or the butcher shop if you were a vegetarian. I didn't really think of anything like that, but something that did pop in my head was "I would never get a tattoo." So, I went up to the local tattoo parlor and inquired if I could get a tattoo done, but without the ink. The guy looked at me kind of funny and said they hadn't done it before, but would be willing to give it a try. So we set up an appointment, I paid the $40 minimum fee, picked out my design, and I laid on the table to get my left rib cage drawn on. It was pretty sweet actually, I had these beautiful blood lines that eventually healed over and were a faint color under my skin. One day I looked in the mirror and they were totally gone! So... I totally know what it is like to get a tattoo, however, I don't know what it feels like to have something permanently applied to my body, but that's okay with me.

Here are a few more things from my sketch book...








And here is some photography and sculpture work...






So yep! These are some of my pieces... not sure what they tell about me as an artist. I will post some of my design work too when I get a chance... I am very intrigued by the relationship of art and design. I think I would be lying if I didn't admit to being both a designer and an artist... but I have heard people argue that you are either on or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment