Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shleep.


Here is the result of my second drawing assignment:






The second image is to help depict the effect of the tracing paper. Anyhow. I spent a lot of time thinking on what I wanted to illustrate regarding the subject matter of "dreams" and "language." I chose to draw on tracing paper for two reasons: 1. Is has a translucent quality that visually corresponds with the idea that dreams are in part reality, but really not and 2. Because I am a poor college student who has had this giant roll of tracing paper laying around and thought she'd be resourceful by using it. The tracing paper worked out quite well.

I am not sure what you "get out of" this drawing upon viewing it.. but I will tell you a bit of my intent behind it. I am inferring sleep simply by having four objects, easily counted, to represent the idea of counting sheep. This way of counting and use of rather iconic images is how I addressed language in this piece. A common, recognizable object, otherwise known as an icon, sums up the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words." Both the brain and the sheep are subjects that probably any person would recognize, and also have a ton of connotation packed into them. Thus, language doesn't have to be a complicated conversation of sharing words, sentences, and mutters... it can be as simple as sharing basic imagery.

Why the brain morphing into the sheep? I like the idea that dreams are story-like, personal experiences, that tend to be bazaar and affect the individual on some level. Dreams can have a very abstract literary aspect to them, but also are odd generations from our brain... quite scientific and mysterious.

I also enjoyed poking fun with the contradiction of the brain... a symbol of intelligence, morphing into the sheep... a symbol of stupidity.

My friend brought up the thought of how humans thrive off of their intelligence and ability to think for themselves, but consequently will end up following someone else. I thought this was a very valid point that is shown in the drawing.




1 comment: